Low consumption (-15% compared to a petrol car) and lower price of diesel fuel at the pump in France: diesel vehicles have long been preferred by motorists because of their low-cost price per kilometer. However, in 2017, the share of new diesel cars registered in France fell below the fateful mark of 50%. The reason? Higher purchase price and higher maintenance costs. For the fiat 500x you can also look for other matters.
Why buy a petrol car?
The petrol engine is the most widespread in France, especially in the city car segment. You will, therefore, have more choices when purchasing your vehicle. They are also cheaper to buy, as is the insurance premium (around 10% to 15% cheaper than for a diesel). On the other hand, the price at the pump is higher and petrol vehicles discount more quickly (every 15,000 km instead of 25,000 km for diesel).
Why buy an LPG car?
For the price at the pump and the range of the vehicle of course! The LPG car is also a little polluting and allows you to benefit from financial advantages in France: tax credit and free registration certificate. Be careful, however, the car running on Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) requires a second tank (which will clog the trunk) as well as a fairly expensive LPG fuel kit: count on average € 1,500 to € 3,000.
Why buy an electric car?
As with LPG, the electric car does not pollute and gives the right to state aid (ecological bonus, tax credit). Its limited range (400 km) makes it a rather urban vehicle. The purchase cost is higher than a petrol or diesel car, but you won’t have to fill up!
Before choosing your car, you should know that the purchase price also varies according to the options (optional equipment) and standard equipment, for example:
- Emergency braking assistance
- Anti-lock braking system
- Rearview camera for easier parking (recommended if you buy an SUV, MPV or crossover)
- Blindspot warning
- Trailer hook
- Heated seats
- Automatic gearbox
- Steering wheel
Consider including them in your car budget!
- Choosing a new or used car?
- Why buy a new car?
In 2017, 2.11 million new cars were sold in France. A market up 4.7% compared to 2016. Here are 3 good reasons to buy your new vehicle:
- You benefit from the manufacturer’s warranty (from 2 to 7 years) so no maintenance concerns
- You can customize your car (colors, motorization, optional equipment)
- You ride in a state-of-the-art car
Why buy a used car?
It is not uncommon to get good deals in the used vehicle market. This has several advantages:
- Your car costs much less to buy
- You go upmarket (possibility of driving in a used minivan for the price of a new city car)
- Auto insurance is cheaper (because based on the market value of the vehicle)
- At a car dealership or between individuals, buying a second-hand car still requires some knowledge of mechanics. Stay alert!
In addition to a car loan, several aids exist to finance the purchase of your new or used car:
- Scrappage bonus
- Ecological bonus
- Loan of honor from the Caf
Why buy a hybrid car?
A hybrid vehicle runs on both gasoline and electricity. It consumes and pollutes little while enjoying better autonomy than an electric car. Disadvantage: its relatively high purchase price, but offset by fuel savings.